Friday, October 19, 2007

A BEAST AMONG ANIMALS

I woke up after a long sleep and found my shirt crisp as if freshly starched.

The bloodstains on my shirt had dried up.

Luckily it was not my blood and unluckily the blood belonged to those two who lied dead next to me, they were to young to die.

Don’t know why they were born, were they born just for this day to give me this life after the massacre and stain my shirt.

Pity.

Or was there a greater role that they played.

I got up hushed away the wild beasts trying to snap meat from the young tender bodies. I dragged the bodies to a nearby pit and covered them with mud caused by last nights rain.

Once again I felt exhausted and perched on a nearby rock. With my back towards the sun. thinking about reasons of past fifteen years.

The sun was harsh and shadows were hard.

Nah… I can’t believe my eyes. My shadow was missing. Suddenly I went pale with fear. I pinched my arm it hurt, it wasn’t a dream.

Immediately I got up and started running in fear, but every time I looked back couldn’t find even a trace of my shadow.

Exhausted and hungry I was now.

Just another nights journey till I reach the little town I left fifteen years back. The town where I had to leave back my only love.

By the time I reached the town I got used to my being shadow less.

The town was all the same as it had been when I left except for the fact that it had grown grayer.

Booked a room in a shabby lodge. Got out off the lodge and into the street.

Walked by the antique shops, took a left turn for the small restaurants that served good affordable food. Placed a wholesome order. Which was served in a jiffy. My mouth was already salivating, the food smelt great. I took the first bite and there was an instant repulsion. I ran away in the street and puked.

Went back paid the bill for nothing that I consumed and walked back to the lodge.
Never knew when I dozed off but by the time I got up it was already evening. Still hungry I got up and started walking toward the restaurant where I was supposed to meet my lost love, now a happy wife with a little son. As usual I reached there fifteen minutes earlier than expected.

The aroma around was so appetising. And there she comes with her son. She looked beautiful as ever, just that a few streaks of gray hair and a bit of heavier bust.

It was evident that she was delighted to see me but instantly I could see the horror in her eyes without her saying a word.

As usual she quickly hid the expression and greeted me with open arms.

It was good to see her son (no hard feelings). We ordered a decently huge meal taking in consideration my appetite that too being hungry for almost more than a day. The food was served, the spices smelled awesome. I was salivating heavily. The kid took the first bite followed by the lady. Once again I felt like puking and rushed towards the loo.

It was embarrassing I couldn’t join them back on the table. But left she took me to a corner kissed me hard on my lips once again the fear was reflecting on her face I a flash of a second she hid it and all she said was “sandy you look exactly as young as you were fifteen years back, as if time have stopped for you…

…it’s weird”.

I just unheard it and walked back to the lodge. Funny wasn’t this my only wish- to look young.

Slept off feeling hungry and weak.

Woke up late next morning, eggs and butter toast were laid on the breakfast table. The same pukishness took over but the salivation was obscenely high saliva was almost dripping down my mouth.

I could realise that I shouldn’t hang around in this town anymore. Paid the lodge-keeper and started walking empty stomach.

Almost a day since I left the town dead and weary I was about to fall on the ground, suddenly I saw some wild beasts fighting among themselves. Without any fear I entered their territory.

Yes they had dug the freshly made graves and trying to tear flesh of the young tender bodies. My stained shirt still lying where I left it.

I hushed away the animals and sat there guarding the bodies.

Very soon my mouth started salivating and I couldn’t control the urge to take a chunk out of the half rotten body,

No more puke. It satiated my soul.

By now the sun was setting and silence had covered everything.

Animals started prowling in the dark and I stood there guarding the half eaten bodies against the animals.

Yes they were mine.

Yes they were born to nourish me.

Yes they will give me strength.

And I will protect them till there’s the last of flesh on the bones.

In the darkness I was no more missing my shadow.

All this was a small price that I promised to the Devil if he made my only wish come true. I fulfilled my promise and got stains on my shirt as the blood was dripping down my mouth since it was my first drink…

…in future I never wasted a drop of sweet tender flesh and blood.

And always looked young as the Devil had promised.

No comments: